The Account Executive is responsible for securing new funders for Minnesota Public Radio’s five programming services (Your Classical MPR, News, 89.3 The Current, Digital and Live Events) to meet new income targets.
Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
The Account Executive is responsible for securing new funders for Minnesota Public Radio’s five programming services (Your Classical MPR, News, 89.3 The Current, Digital and Live Events) to meet new income targets. The position will service, renew and increase funding levels of current clients to meet both new income and renewal target rate targets (if applicable). The role will assist with other development and marketing activities as assigned.
This is an outside sales position which will spend approximately 75% of their time outside of the office. The role is expected to travel during the day (with occasional overnight travel) and will maintain a workflow of 10-12 out-of-office appointments per week.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Identify new underwriting prospects using broadcast, print, digital and social media, trade publications (marketing, advertising, industry specific), and business contacts
- Establish, cultivate, and manage strong ongoing client relationships. This includes developing rapport and driving client discussions in an effort to understand how MPR can assist with the client’s underwriting/advertising needs
- Prepare written in-person and/or digital presentations designed to meet prospect needs and resources and in-person presentations to encourage both a renewed and increased funding commitment
- Establish and maintain accurate and current records in Salesforce including account and client information as well as current and pending business opportunities
- Identify and execute appropriate prospect cultivation that results in sales cycle closure
- Communicate new business results to manager. Generate reports to show income generated from prospect conversions on a weekly and/or monthly basis
- Identify and execute appropriate client cultivation that results in continued MPR funding (adhere to high maintenance, low maintenance portfolio management techniques)
- Network in the marketplace with other organizations and individuals in the broadcast, digital and experiential marketing industry
- Secure media partnerships with appropriate partners and businesses at the request of marketing and other departments in the organization
- Work with prospects and internal MPR staff to prepare effective and acceptable underwriting credits
- Participate in the creation and/or revision of sales and marketing materials
- Identify digital sponsorship and advertising opportunities for both current clients and prospects
- Continuously look for ways to refine and enhance support systems such as traffic, billing, Nielsen, Scarborough, and digital metrics
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of two (2) years sales experience in broadcast or other media
- Experience in negotiation
- Experience with broadcast and digital scheduling and rate setting
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proven track record of successfully meeting income targets through both prospecting and client upgrades
- Excellent communication skills
- Looking for a curious mind, a team player, and an energetic and strong presence
- Demonstrated time management sills
- Must be self-motivated, results oriented, persuasive communicator, and goal focused
- Ability and eagerness to sell in a challenging environment focused on building a significant public service media company
- Must work well independently as well as be a team player
- High level of organization and attention to detail
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of Minnesota Public Radio’s products
- Knowledge of digital marketing strategies, including livestreaming, on-demand, dedicated and programmatic display or video and their applications for publishers
- Knowledge of Salesforce is helpful but not mandatory
- Experience with sales forecasting
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to travel during the day, with occasional overnight travel required
- Must have a personal vehicle available for use to call on clients. Mileage reimbursement will be provided
- Must have a valid, current driver’s license
- Must have a clean driving record with no DWIs or excessive amount of traffic violations or accidents
- Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as needed
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.