At Bardel, our greatest asset is our people. The FX Lead is responsible for creating and conceptualizing complex CG (3D) FX Sequences as required that meets the aesthetic, creative, and technical quality standards of the production.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Mar 15, 2023
The FX lead will provide guidance, review work, and distribute tasks to the FX team in accordance with the production deadlines. They will communicate to other departments and the CG supervisor. They should think outside the box, have a problem-solving mindset with great attention to detail.
We are currently looking for an FX Lead to work on Diary of a Wimpy Kid, a feature film based on the books by Jeff Kinney! Trailer for movie 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16u7oeK0O90
What will you be doing:
- Create natural and supernatural effects (ie, water, smoke, dust, lightning, bubbles, fire, lava, shadows, explosions, etc) to contribute to the character, location, or atmosphere
- Demonstrate a broad range of superior FX abilities in a collaborative environment to conceptualize and create the overall look, attitude and style of the FX
- Uphold the art direction defined by the Art Director
- Provide suggestions and recommendations on technique and elements in the context of the scene.
- Excellent visual skills and attention to detail
- Exercise strong leadership and communication skills to the team to ensure that FX assignments are understood and completed as per instructed.
- Demonstrate a broad range of FX abilities in a collaborative environment to conceptualize and create the overall look, attitude and style of the FX
- Cultivate and maintain a creative and successful working relationship with directors, supervisors and other departments.
- Demonstrate good written and verbal communication, and exhibit a collaborative, supportive approach to working with other team members
- Actively participate in team/department meetings.
- Consistently exercise sound judgment in all areas of performance
- Mentor and offer support to less experienced artists, providing them with guidance and instruction in the area of department focus
- Actively promote and communicate sound solutions to technical and creative issues.
- Maintain and communicate a strong knowledge of innovative FX animation technologies.
- Meet project deadlines and milestones, as set by Series Director / Episodic Director and the production department
- Build templates and assets for the FX team to use
- Successful candidates should be able to work efficiently as part of a team or independently to determine the various design solutions
What you bring with you:
- Ability to create multiple types of digital effects from simple to difficult
- Excellent knowledge of Houdini and Nuke are required, knowledge of Maya and Katana are a plus
- Knowledge of Renderman shading, volume rendering and raytracing experience preferred
- Scripting ability in VEX and Python are a plus
- 2D Fx knowledge is a plus.
- 3-5 years of experience in animation or film industry